With more people in Bristol cooking from scratch than ever before, we’ve teamed up with our friends at Better Food for a series of tried and tested recipes.
The second recipe in this series was created by Dave Lifton, their digital marketing guru. Featuring fresh, seasonal vegetables from The Community Farm, delicious micro-greens by Grow Bristol and Yeo Valley soured cream, everything in this tasty dish has been sourced within 15 miles of Bristol. All ingredients are available at Better Food, who source produce locally wherever possible.
Food doesn’t come any more local than growing your own. Readers who want to put their green fingers into action, but could do with some beginners’ tips, can download Better Food’s free guide to growing here. If you like it, pass it on to friends and family!
Share and tag Better Food in your locally-sourced creations on Instagram or Facebook feeds. Go to betterfood.co.uk and sign up to their newsletter for the latest foodie tips and more simple and seasonal recipes.
Local roast baby potato recipe
•500g baby potatoes
•3 cloves of garlic, crushed
•1 tbsp butter
•75ml soured cream
•5 spring onions, chopped finely
•A handful of fresh parsley, chopped finely
•200g fresh rocket
Punnet of Grow Bristol microgreens
1. Chop your baby potatoes in half and add to a large saucepan. Cover with boiling water and turn the hob to a high heat. Boil for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to soften and can be easily pierced with a knife.
2. Turn your oven onto gas mark 5/190°C/170°C Fan. Drain the potatoes, add the butter, garlic and seasoning to the pan, and shake the potatoes gently with the lid on until the butter coats the potatoes.
3. Add the ingredients into a baking tray and pop it into the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the baby potato skins begin to crisp. Once crisp, remove the tray from the oven and set to one side to cool.
4. Once the potatoes have cooled, take a large bowl and pour in the soured cream. Season, and follow this with the chopped spring onions and parsley. Give everything a thorough mix with a large spoon, adding the potatoes during the process.
5. Add 50g of fresh rocket to each plate and serve the potato salad up with a garnish of microgreens.
Better Food has remained open, as usual, throughout the lockdown and the team are doing everything they can to help the community get through this time of great uncertainty. They offer restricted shopping for the elderly and vulnerable, NHS discounts and make regular contributions to community food distribution schemes. In each store you’ll find everything from fresh produce to store cupboard staples, chilled foods to fresh bread, bodycare, household products and more. Find out more at www.betterfood.co.uk.