News: More speakers announced for TEDx Bristol
The city’s “boldest disruptors” are promised to be speaking at TEDx Bristol when it comes to the Colston Hall in November.
With a theme of ‘dare to disrupt’, speakers will be talking about topics including equality, autism, social justice, advertising and curiosity.
They will be sharing their own personal stories that challenge the status quo, and dare to do things differently.
Newly announced speakers include:
– Mena Fombo, the driving force behind the new international campaign No. You Cannot Touch My Hair!, an exploration of the objectification of black women
– William Mager, series producer of the BBC’s long-running television series for deaf people See Hear
– Anna Starkey, At-Bristol’s creative director on why we need a culture of curiosity
– Clive Colledge, a 70-year-old former ad-man hell-bent on exploring the opportunity that being his age can offer
– Kelsey Hoppe, a high-risk environment specialist who will explore the fears around travelling
– Natalie Fee, an award winning environmental campaigner with a compelling call to turn the tide on plastic pollution in the oceans
– Kalpna Woolf, who has built a groundbreaking initiative to bring the 91 language communities of Bristol together using food and their stories of culture
TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks of 18 minutes or less. Independently run TEDx events help share ideas in communities around the world.
TEDx Bristol curator Mel Rodrigues said: “We now have over half of our line up decided, and Bristol has really pulled out all the stops.
“With over 350 applications and counting, we’ve chosen 10 people who represent the positive, innovative and slightly rogue spirit of the city. These are Bristol’s boldest disruptors!”
If you believe you can contribute an idea worth sharing at ‘Dare to Disrupt’, the application deadline has been extended to August 25.
TEDx Bristol takes place at the Colston Hall on November 2 and 3. For more information, visit www.tedxbristol.com
Main photo, top row left to right: Anna Starkey, William Mager, Nura Aabe, Martyn Ashton and Natalie Fee. Bottom row, left to right: Kalpna Woolf, Kelsey Hoppe, Joshua Luke-Smith, Mena Fombo and Clive Colledge.