On January 24 1868, a group of like-minded individuals were invited to meet in the home of Florence Davenport Hill in Clifton.
First called the Bristol & Clifton Society for Women’s Suffrage and later the Bristol & West of England Society for Women’s Suffrage, it was the first meeting of one of the first suffrage societies in the UK.
Its historical significance in the centenary year of women being granted the right to vote has now been marked with a blue plaque.
The plaque at 3 West Mall was unveiled by Bristol West MP Thangam Debbonaire on Saturday morning, following short talks from Lucienne Boyce of the West of England & South Wales Women’s History Network and Lori Stretch representing Bristol Civic Society’s blue plaque scheme.
Read more: Blue plaque for Bristol’s suffrage pioneers