One of Wales’ finest culinary talents, chef Mike Bates shares his recipe for this classic Welsh savoury snack.
Mike is an award winning chef and heads up all six kitchens at the five star Celtic Manor resort in Newport. He says: “You can make Welsh cakes in big batches and stick them in the freezer. Later, you can cook them from frozen.”
· 500g self-raising flour
· 200g caster sugar
· 2 tsp golden syrup
· 2 tsp mixed spice
· 2 eggs
· 200g sultanas or raisins
1. Mix all dry ingredients together (except fruit)
2. Using your fingertips rub butter into the dry ingredients to resemble breadcrumbs.
3. Add whisked eggs and syrup; combine together until a dough is formed.
4. Add fruit and mix well before covering with cling film and placing into the fridge for 1 hour.
5. Remove from fridge and roll onto a floured table, to a medium size thickness.
6. Using a round cutter, cut into round shapes.
7. Place onto a griddle, bakestone or non-stick frying pan and cook for 2/3 minutes.
8. Flip over and cook for a further two minutes.
Dip into sugar and enjoy!
*HINT: Instead of using sultanas or raisins, try using choc chips.