Mike Bates is among Wales’ finest culinary talents, winning South Wales chef of the year multiple times. This month he will be competing against some of the best chefs in Europe at the Global Chefs Challenge semi-final in Aalborg in Denmark.
Executive head chef Mike can usually be found commanding the kitchen at Celtic Manor in Newport – less than 30 miles from Bristol. This summery superfood-salad is perfect for accompanying barbeques.
Wild garlic gremolata
• 1 lemon zested
• 1 cup of picked flat parsley
• 1 cup of wild garlic leaves
• Teaspoon of salt
• ¼ cup of olive oil
Place all ingredients except olive oil into a food processor, slowly add olive oil until a smooth consistency is achieved. Set aside.
• 300g black quinoa
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• small Romanesco, finely grated
• 100g broad beans, shelled
• 200g pomegranate seeds
• 85g toasted pine nuts
• freshly chopped mint
• small pack each of coriander, flat leaf parsley and mint, roughly chopped
• juice of 3 lemons, and zest
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1 large carrot , finely chopped
• Cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
1. Cook the quinoa following pack instructions – it should be tender but with a little bite. Drain well and spread over a platter or wide, shallow bowl to cool quickly and steam dry.
2. When the quinoa is just about cool stir through all of the remaining ingredients with plenty of seasoning.
3. Add and mix in wild garlic gremolata, little by little, until required taste is achieved. Or add Pesto, or honey or mustard dressing if preferred.