Laura Hart from Hart’s Bakery hidden to the side of Temple Meads shares her top-five tips for making the perfect mince pie.
1. Make your mincemeat in plenty of time. We made ours in September.
2. Use the best dried fruit, sugar, spices and plenty of booze. We use a mix of rum and brandy. We also use baked apples for moisture and flavour.
3. Calorie counting is for January – we use suet in the mincemeat and lard in the pastry so our mince pies are not suitable for vegetarians!
4. Instead of more pastry on top we use an almond crumble topping which gives a lovely contrast of texture and flavour.
5. Mince pies are best enjoyed warm with brandy cream. They’re available from the bakery until Christmas Eve.