In 2018 Tobacco Factory Theatres will embark on a £1.5 million building project to completely transform the current footprint of the first floor of the building.
The plans will reconfigure the space to create, alongside the existing Factory Theatre:
– a new flexible, multi-purpose 86-seat studio performance space with retractable seating
– refurbished backstage areas to provide three new dressing rooms, kitchen area and technical management/storage
– improved and extended front of house and bar spaces to transform the audience experience
The project will begin works in January 2018, with all new spaces open and functioning for a launch in October 2018.
Tobacco Factory Theatres say that the transformation will:
– expand the programme and grow audiences. In the new studio theatre 30,000 more people each year will enjoy over 360 more performances by 50 additional companies. The programme will include daring, innovative and eclectic high profile local, national and international work
– help to inspire more local young people. The studio theatre will provide a home for the organisation’s flourishing Children and Young People Programme, allowing an expansion of activities to over 3,000 young people each year
– empower artists, providing a dedicated space to support artists to explore, challenge and create brilliant new theatre
– support the local community, with the range of new flexible spaces allowing Tobacco Factory Theatres to offer more opportunities for everyone to take part in the life of the organisation, through its Get Involved Programme and more.
“This project is an enormously exciting step for Tobacco Factory Theatres,” says artistic director Mike Tweddle. “It builds on the great success of the organisation to date and enables us to look ahead to a bright future.”
Fundraising for the project is going well, with £1.2 million of the £1.5 million required already secured. Tobacco Factory Theatres is now asking for the generous support of its audiences to help reach its outstanding target of £300,000 and make this transformation a reality.
You can view plans and donate to the project at www.tobaccofactorytheatres.com/reimagine-with-us