top_border11

..........

Bristol hacking victim wins settlement from Murdoch empire

Amanda Ramsay settles case with News International, which is accused of hacking her phone during the time she worked in office of Labour whip

Amanda Ramsay

Amanda Ramsay

A prospective MP in Bristol has settled a case with News International, which is accused of hacking her phone during the time she worked in the office of Labour whip Graham Stringer MP.

Amanda Ramsay, who hopes to become the Labour candidate in Bristol South at the next general election, confirmed to Bristol24-7 she had settled with the publisher.

A report in The Independent this morning suggested the compensation figure could be as high as £20,000 but Ms Ramsay said that she was legally unable to discuss the details of the settlement.

The settlement comes as News International (NI) is due to attend a case management hearing at the High Court in London on Friday at which the company is expected to make a series of apologies to victims with whom it has settled civil claims over hacking.

In total, almost 250 claims have been settled. NI announced last week that a compensation scheme set up to hear claims without going to court would close on 8 April, having so far settled 60 out of 254 claims.

Speaking to Bristol24-7 this morning, Ms Ramsay said she could only speculate on why she had been hacked by journalists from News International – publishers of The Sun and the now-closed News of the World.

She said notes in the notebook of disgraced investigator Glenn Mulcaire pointed to her phone messages being hacked in 2001 and 2004.

She added that she had felt “very alone” when police contacted her in September 2011 to say she could be a victim.

“In 2001 I started working for Graham Stringer. Soon after, I thought I was being followed and could hear clicking on my phone. At first I thought I was being tapped by MI5, as part of their security checks. Now I wonder if it was to do with the hacking,” she said.

“My own political career was taking off, so I don’t know if the journalists thought I was someone to keep an eye on.

“I was burgled, had my laptop stolen and my mobile phone disappeared from my desk at Parliament. You can’t help but put two and two together.

“I felt very alone. It was very hard to talk about when police contacted me in September 2011. It takes you back to all those moments when you felt you were going mad.”

An NI Group Ltd spokesman said: “We have been keen from the beginning to settle these cases with minimum delay and minimum stress for all involved.”

19 Responses to Bristol hacking victim wins settlement from Murdoch empire
  1. Amanda Ramsay
    January 28, 2014 | 8:39 am

But the comments are not accurate. So I am meant to stay quiet and be bullied into submission. No thanks!

2. arry
    January 27, 2014 | 7:44 pm

And now everyone reads the comments for a second time. Probably not a wise move.

3. Amanda Ramsay
    January 27, 2014 | 5:20 pm

Only just read the inaccurate comments written, hence the delay in replying!

4. Amanda Ramsay
    January 27, 2014 | 5:07 pm

I am not a politician

• Simon
      January 27, 2014 | 10:43 pm

You want to be an MP, and you say "I am not a politician"? Are you for real?

5. arry
    January 27, 2014 | 8:16 am

And why wait 50 weeks to respond ?

6. thebristolblogger
    January 26, 2014 | 1:57 pm

Why pick public life if you don't like about people who don't know you criticising you?

Strange politician who thinks only their friends and family should be allowed to comment on their conduct and behaviour.

7. Amanda Ramsay
    January 26, 2014 | 10:06 am

I have taken view to ignore this spurious, malicious, inaccurate comments. Until now. Why should my freedom of speech be curtailed by nasty, anonymous people who do not even know me? Please put your energies and bitterness into community action rather than online venom.

8. thebristolblogger
    February 6, 2013 | 7:15 pm

She should have told Murdoch to stick his dirty money where the sun don't shine and seen him in court where the whole sordid tale could be dragged out in public. Amanda's helping a Murdoch cover up.

9. Paul BemmyDown
    February 6, 2013 | 5:09 pm

I don't think Amanda should be put under pressure to donate the money to anyone. It's her decision. I'm just sad that my new prospective MP turns out to be a career political worker, when I was hoping for somebody with genuine local connections and experience of the non-political workplace.

• Medlock
      February 6, 2013 | 6:19 pm

She might think she is a prospective MP but others think differently. I agree we should have someone who has been resident in Bristol for longer than 5 minutes.

• BedminsterBoy
        February 7, 2013 | 11:50 am

Her CV on Linkedin is hilarious, up there with poor old Marvin Rees' for neopolitc nonsense speak. It's like she's a character from The Thick of It.

I think the people of South Bristol need to do all they can to prevent this power mad woman getting the nomination and Bristol Labour should learn from the mayoral election that we simply don't want Westminster toadies in charge.

And have a look at her version of the above story on the Labourlist website, it's genuinely incredible. Next week on Amanda – 'How I freed Nelson Mandela'

10. Alberto Balsam
    February 6, 2013 | 5:02 pm

Does Bristol 247 owe Amanda Ramsay money or something? She's getting three or four stories a week and they're all about nothing but herself.

• bristol247
      February 6, 2013 | 5:28 pm

Hello Alberto,

Ha, no! No debts involved. To be fair, a prospective MP for the city getting a settlement from NI is newsworthy in my opinion. Amanda does write for the site. She has written six times since last September, so "three or four stories a week" is perhaps a tad exaggerated ;)

11. djmorris
    February 6, 2013 | 4:20 pm

Had her phone "hacked"

alledgedly

or perhaps failed the mobile phone 101 test of neglecting to amend the factory password settings.

Bit of a Numbnut then.

12. Coakley
    February 6, 2013 | 2:35 pm

'"My own political career was taking off, so I don’t know if the journalists thought I was someone to keep an eye on."'

Good grief, please make it stop.

• Mike T
      February 6, 2013 | 3:20 pm

LOL!

• Coakley
        February 6, 2013 | 3:36 pm

I note on Twitter there are calls for Ms Ramsay to donate her £20,000 'Hackgate' windfall to a South Bristol charity that aids less fortunate victims of crime. What a lovely gesture that would be by someone as new to the area as herself.

Perhaps a little bit of public pressure could make this happen. And what a story for Bristol 247!

• bristol247
          February 6, 2013 | 5:29 pm

If she does, i will certainly report it!

Today's news and features
Bristol bus boycott: Hero of historic campaign unveils plaque

Dr Paul Stephenson, who led the fight against racism on Bristol's buses more than 50 years ago, has unveiled a plaque to commemorate the historic camp(Read more...)

Frustration bubbling on Bristol to Bath cycle path

More than half of Bristol and Bath Railway Path users are frustrated by the actions of other pedestrians and cyclists, a survey has found (Read more...)

Bristol Metrobus: Campaigners call on minister to axe funding

Alliance to Rethink Metrobus group said they were angry at the "double act" of committee chair and planning officer railroading scheme past councillor(Read more...)

Bristol News Wire: August 29, 2014

Bringing you a round-up of the top headlines from around Bristol this morning (Read more...)

Bedminster can’t afford row over affordable housing

Tony Dyer questions reasoning of councillors to defer a decision on St Catherine's Place housing development (Read more...)

Bristol food sets its sights on world domination!

As one of the main cultural hubs in the UK, Bristol has long drawn a wide range of dynamic, energetic and passionate people from around the country (Read more...)

Sign up for the Bristol24-7 newsletter

By signing up, you will receive access to news and special offers

It's quick and easy to join... just fill in the form below. Thank you!

Your Name*

Your Email*

Your Postcode area (BS1, BS2 etc)*

What are you most interested in? (You can choose more than one!)*
What's On Food and Drink Business Motoring Travel Special offers